lifeworksgestaltl1

Monday, September 9, 2013

Case #21 - Wild woman

Cynthia had recently seperated from her 3rd husband. They had been together 20 years. She wanted to work with a dream.

I instructed her to tell it in the present, as if it was happening, blow by blow.

She said:

I am asleep on the couch. He comes and hugs and kisses me. He is telling me that he just bought a new house, got it cheap, with a big shed. It has a new bedroom and ensuite.

We walk to my house and theres a boy there who takes a large piece of timeber, throws it through the windown. Now John (husband) comes and his phone rings, he sayd that he has to talk privately now, so I figure he has a new girlfriend.

I then asked her to play some of the roles, and describe herself in each. 

Firstly was the House - she said ‘I am new, shiny, good quality, much better than the old house. Happy, large, spacious.’

Then John - ‘I am happy, want the house, its a miracle to buy it, I am strong, got a purpose’

Then the piece of timber that went through the window  - ‘I am hard, strong, powerful, the old house has no value, I just need to show its broken, make a big noise’.

Then the boy - who was 13 in the dream - ‘I am mischievious, strong’

Then the new girlfriend - ‘I am interested, curious’

This all took some coaching, as Cynthia kept wanting to tell me her interpretations of what each element meant. But in Gestalt we are looking for direct experience rather than pre-made judgements or associations. So I kept directing her back into an identification with each element, and naming her feelings rather than her thoughts.

I asked her what stood out most - the boy. Playful, out of character.

So then I relate it to her current life - what would be something that would be out of character?

Cynthia said - to stay out all night, have a big bonfire, a party on the beach under the moon, then sleep on the beach. 

She said she would like to bring John, but ‘he doesnt like to see the wild woman in me...so I learned to dampen it down..he cant handle the expectation he feels to be a certain way’.

She explained that she tried to get him to come to rock and roll dancing with her for many years, but finally gave up.

I suggested that she stop putting herself on hold, and just go to the dance classes by herself.

I then ask her to imagine saying something wild to John, something out of character. I would play the role of John, and she could say it to me directly.

- She woudl tell him she wanted them to both give up their jobs, get a yacht, and sail the seas, wherever the currents took them, she would cook, and they could write poetry together.

I then asked her to say something every stronger to him, this time, something a bit challenging.

- She told him she was tired of his drug taking, and was angry at the last years she had wasted, waiting for him to do something different. She wasnt going to take any more promises, only actions.

I gave her feedback on her process - she was very clear, grounded, and in my non-defensive position as John (something he normally found difficult of course), how much I appreciated her directness.

I invited her to be even stronger, harsher, more wild.

She made some more statements about herself, her limits.

Again, I gave her feedback.

She felt very much strengthened.

In Gestalt we design experiments to explore figures which arise. Here there were many figures in the dream, but we went with what had the most energy for her - doing something uncharacteristic.

This translated to being wild, strong, and putting herself forward, both positively and negatively.

I participated in the experiement by playing her partner, and giving her feedback. This helped make it more real for her, and also created a sense of saftey to try out a new way of being.

Gestalt is about trying out something different, with support, focusing on the key issues that arise in awareness - dreams are very good for accessing these issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Lifeworks 2012

Contact: admin@learngestalt.com

Who is this blog for?

These case examples are for therapists, students and those working in the helping professions. The purpose is to show how the Gestalt approach works in practice, linking theory with clinical challenges.

Because this is aimed at a professional audience, the blog is available by subscription. Please enter your email address to receive free blog updates every time a new entry is added.

Gestalt therapy sessions

For personal therapy with me: www.qualityonlinetherapy.com

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

© Lifeworks 2012

Contact: admin@learngestalt.com

Languages:

HOME

Informed Consent & Rates

PROFESSIONAL TRAINING

Gestalt Therapy Defined

PROFESSIONAL SERVICES

PAYMENTS

OTHER STUFF

Links

Book:Advice for Men about Women

BLOGS

• English

Bahasa

Čeština

Deutsch

Español

Français

Greek ελληνικά

Hindi हिंदी

Magyar

Melayu

Italiano

Korean한국의

Polski

Português

Română

Russian Русский

Serbian српски

Chinese 中文

Japanese 日本語

Arabic العربية

English Bahasa České Deutsch Español Filipino Français ελληνικά हिंदी Magyar Melayu Italiano 한국의 Polski Português Română Русский српски 中文 日本語 العربية

If you are interested in following my travels/adventures in the course of my teaching work around the world, feel free to follow my Facebook Page!

vinaysmile

This Gestalt therapy blog is translated into multiple languages. You are welcome to subscribe

logosm1

Interested in Gestalt Therapy training?

Contact Us

Links

Career Decision Coaching

Here

and here

Lifeworks

Gestalt training and much more

http://www.depth.net.au

For Men

Here is a dedicated site for my book Understanding the Woman in Your Life

http://www.manlovesawoman.com

The Unvirtues

A site dedicated to this novel approach to the dynamics of self interest in relationship

http://www.unvirtues.com

Learn Gestalt

A site with Gestalt training professional development videos, available for CE points

http://www.learngestalt.com

We help people live more authentically

Want more? See the Archives column here

Gestalt therapy demonstration sessions

Touching pain and anger: https://youtu.be/3r-lsBhfzqY (40m)

Permission to feel: https://youtu.be/2rSNpLBAqj0 (54m)

Marriage after 50: https://youtu.be/JRb1mhmtIVQ (1h 17m)

Serafina - Angel wings: https://youtu.be/iY_FeviFRGQ (45m)

Barb Wire Tattoo: https://youtu.be/WlA9Xfgv6NM (37m)

A natural empath; vibrating with joy: https://youtu.be/tZCHRUrjJ7Y (39m)

Dealing with a metal spider: https://youtu.be/3Z9905IhYBA (51m)

Interactive group: https://youtu.be/G0DVb81X2tY (1h 57m)