lifeworksgestaltl1

Friday, October 25, 2013

Case #33 - A full and authentic disclosure


James’ issue was that he worked hard all week, often flying to other cities, and then came home on a Friday. Having been away, he looked forward to returning. It was important to him that his wife and child were at home, and he could walk into the feeling of ‘home’. 

However, his wife was a high level HR manager, and she was not home more often then not. When pressed, she would point out that her career was also important, and that his feelings were his problem.

He had been with his wife for many years, and they were both interested in personal growth and astrology. He described himself as a cancer sign, signalling feelings.

Their relationship was deep and affectionate, but also had a lot of conflict, which he wanted to reduce and improve the relationship. 

This provided me with a context for the intervention.

I asked him something that was equally important for his wife, that she would like him to give her. He said when she gave a presentation at work, and shared that with him, she wanted his acknowlegement and appreciation.

I asked for a second thing. When she read a book (generally personal development), she wanted him to read it too and talk about it.

I asked whether he did either of those things. He said, to some degree… but not to her satsifaction.

So I suggested that he firstly take seriously these two requests from her, and do them both wholeheartedly.

After he had done so for a time, I suggested that he give her a full, complex and authentic statement about what it meant to him for her to be home on a Friday night.

I demonstrated what I meant by this with an example from my own life:

-> Growing up, birthdays had always been special times in our house. Whereas for my wife, they were hardly celebrated; and there were times when her sister’s birthday was celebrated, but not hers.

As a result she did not have a lot of enthusiasm for birthdays; she liked hers to be very private and simple.

I expected a special day, with a number of markers which were about it being ‘my day’. There were occaions on which she did not do this in the way I wanted, and I felt very hurt; something that was hard for her to really understand.

-

So my full, complex and authentic statement went something like this:

I know that birthdays are fraught for you, and that you didnt have a great experience of them during your childhood. I know that you have also tried very hard to make my birthdays very nice occasions, and I am very grateful for that. And I have also experienced that there have been times when you have not felt in the right space for any variety of reasons, to put out an extra effort, or do more than a certain amount. I understand that for you this is related to how much you genuinely feel you have available to give, and that you dont expect more than that on your birthday. However, I am different to you. Birthdays are also a bit fraught for me, in a different way. Because I had a tradition of them being very special, I have an underlying expectation and hope that I get to be ‘first’ on that day. And that even if you are not in such a great mood, that you would set that aside, just for that day, so that I could feel I am getting some kind of special treatment. That would mean a lot to me, and even more so, because I know its not always easy for you. I feel a little on edge saying this to you, because its important to me, and because its a difficult subject for you. I appreciate you considering what I am asking, and you can think about it if you need to and we can talk about it another time.

--

By giving James this personal example from my own life, he could understand how to construct a complex authentic personal statement for this issue of his own.

Gestalt is about bringing depth and authenticity to relationship, and in furthering connection and intimacy. This is an example of one way that we would do it for a client who already knows more than the basics of communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Lifeworks 2012

Contact: admin@learngestalt.com

Who is this blog for?

These case examples are for therapists, students and those working in the helping professions. The purpose is to show how the Gestalt approach works in practice, linking theory with clinical challenges.

Because this is aimed at a professional audience, the blog is available by subscription. Please enter your email address to receive free blog updates every time a new entry is added.

Gestalt therapy sessions

For personal therapy with me: www.qualityonlinetherapy.com

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

© Lifeworks 2012

Contact: admin@learngestalt.com

Languages:

HOME

Informed Consent & Rates

PROFESSIONAL TRAINING

Gestalt Therapy Defined

PROFESSIONAL SERVICES

PAYMENTS

OTHER STUFF

Links

Book:Advice for Men about Women

BLOGS

• English

Bahasa

Čeština

Deutsch

Español

Français

Greek ελληνικά

Hindi हिंदी

Magyar

Melayu

Italiano

Korean한국의

Polski

Português

Română

Russian Русский

Serbian српски

Chinese 中文

Japanese 日本語

Arabic العربية

English Bahasa České Deutsch Español Filipino Français ελληνικά हिंदी Magyar Melayu Italiano 한국의 Polski Português Română Русский српски 中文 日本語 العربية

If you are interested in following my travels/adventures in the course of my teaching work around the world, feel free to follow my Facebook Page!

vinaysmile

This Gestalt therapy blog is translated into multiple languages. You are welcome to subscribe

logosm1

Interested in Gestalt Therapy training?

Contact Us

Links

Career Decision Coaching

Here

and here

Lifeworks

Gestalt training and much more

http://www.depth.net.au

For Men

Here is a dedicated site for my book Understanding the Woman in Your Life

http://www.manlovesawoman.com

The Unvirtues

A site dedicated to this novel approach to the dynamics of self interest in relationship

http://www.unvirtues.com

Learn Gestalt

A site with Gestalt training professional development videos, available for CE points

http://www.learngestalt.com

We help people live more authentically

Want more? See the Archives column here

Gestalt therapy demonstration sessions

Touching pain and anger: https://youtu.be/3r-lsBhfzqY (40m)

Permission to feel: https://youtu.be/2rSNpLBAqj0 (54m)

Marriage after 50: https://youtu.be/JRb1mhmtIVQ (1h 17m)

Serafina - Angel wings: https://youtu.be/iY_FeviFRGQ (45m)

Barb Wire Tattoo: https://youtu.be/WlA9Xfgv6NM (37m)

A natural empath; vibrating with joy: https://youtu.be/tZCHRUrjJ7Y (39m)

Dealing with a metal spider: https://youtu.be/3Z9905IhYBA (51m)

Interactive group: https://youtu.be/G0DVb81X2tY (1h 57m)