lifeworksgestaltl1

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Case #36 - The woman who didn't feel anything

Brenda spoke of not having a clear identity - she easily lost a sense of boundaries, and over identified with others.

She also spoke of being shy, not liking to be photographed or put under the spotlight.

These were indications of a need to proceed cautiously and sensitively, and aware of potential shame issues (exposure related).

I let her know that I was fine not to probe further than felt ok with her.

I pointed out we were in front of a group of people, and asked how that was. She said they were looking at her, but she didn't feel like she was being seen. I asked if thats because of their limited knowledge of her, or because she was hiding out. She said both.

This helped frame for me the relational dynamic. So I brought it back to her and I - I was looking at her, but was she also hiding out from me. She said yes, she did that with everyone.

This of course sets up a relational impasse - a part of her longs to be seen, but then another part doesnt allow that. This was a warning that I had to proceed carefully, or I would simply become frustrated and trapped myself in this dynamic.

So instead of probing, I told her the things which she had already revealed for me to see about her - the pieces of personal information she had shared. I also reported what I saw - for instance the colours of the clothes she was wearing.

This created some ground of what was between us, without asking her further questions, indicating that I was present with what she was sharing and what she was making available. In cases of shame its important to share something from oneself, rather than probe the other person too much.

Still, her eyes were glassy, and she reported that she was drifting off. This indicated that the contact was too much. So I asked her where she was drifting...she said into a place of countless worlds, past lives.

This indicated to me dissociation, and that safety issues were primary here.

I suggested that she could in fact drift off into a dreamy state, and I could do so too, and I could invite everyone in the group to go into a dreamy state, and we could all just sit together, in our dreamy places. 

This suggestion took up her momentum, and encouraged further movement in that direction. In Gestalt this is called the paradoxical theory of change - being with what is, and leaning into it.

She said ‘I dont feel anything’.

In other words, she was completely dissociated. In this place, only certain type of contact is available. 

I asked her what kind of support she needed, to feel safer. She said - I don't want to be seen.

So I told her I would look away from her, and at the same time,  I shared my sadness - that as I would not be looking at her at all, not be trying to see her, her hiding out would be fairly complete. I told her I felt warmth towards her, but couldnt find a way to reach her.

Brenda looked at me and said ‘I dont like to take in support’.

This was the revelation that gave me an indication of how to proceed.

I suggested an experiment - she hold up two hands - one hand pushing away, the other hand open to receiving support.

We did this and she was able to take in my support - I slowly reached my hand to her open hand and held it.

She then reported that there was a ‘force’ which told her not to feel. I asked someone to stand in front of us, representing that force. She couldnt/didnt want to identify who that represented, which was fine.

So I got her to make a statement to the force. She said ‘I will listen to you when its useful to me, and otherwise, and I will allow myself to feel support’.

This was a statement of differentiation and integration.

She could allow herself to feel, take in support, come into relationship, be seen in that place, and have a sense of choicefulness.

This work was slow, and required me to constantly respect her boundaries, not inquire into too much detail, even of what she was feeling...yet not give up either. Usually people react to someone who sets up these kind of privacy boundaries - either pulling back, or meeting in a disconnected way, or overwhelming the person with interest or even kindness. What is needed is a neutral presence, with enough warmth, but not too much, enough interest, but not too much -  this is called attunement, and is a core relational skill

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Lifeworks 2012

Contact: admin@learngestalt.com

Who is this blog for?

These case examples are for therapists, students and those working in the helping professions. The purpose is to show how the Gestalt approach works in practice, linking theory with clinical challenges.

Because this is aimed at a professional audience, the blog is available by subscription. Please enter your email address to receive free blog updates every time a new entry is added.

Gestalt therapy sessions

For personal therapy with me: www.qualityonlinetherapy.com

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

© Lifeworks 2012

Contact: admin@learngestalt.com

Languages:

HOME

Informed Consent & Rates

PROFESSIONAL TRAINING

Gestalt Therapy Defined

PROFESSIONAL SERVICES

PAYMENTS

OTHER STUFF

Links

Book:Advice for Men about Women

BLOGS

• English

Bahasa

Čeština

Deutsch

Español

Français

Greek ελληνικά

Hindi हिंदी

Magyar

Melayu

Italiano

Korean한국의

Polski

Português

Română

Russian Русский

Serbian српски

Chinese 中文

Japanese 日本語

Arabic العربية

English Bahasa České Deutsch Español Filipino Français ελληνικά हिंदी Magyar Melayu Italiano 한국의 Polski Português Română Русский српски 中文 日本語 العربية

If you are interested in following my travels/adventures in the course of my teaching work around the world, feel free to follow my Facebook Page!

vinaysmile

This Gestalt therapy blog is translated into multiple languages. You are welcome to subscribe

logosm1

Interested in Gestalt Therapy training?

Contact Us

Links

Career Decision Coaching

Here

and here

Lifeworks

Gestalt training and much more

http://www.depth.net.au

For Men

Here is a dedicated site for my book Understanding the Woman in Your Life

http://www.manlovesawoman.com

The Unvirtues

A site dedicated to this novel approach to the dynamics of self interest in relationship

http://www.unvirtues.com

Learn Gestalt

A site with Gestalt training professional development videos, available for CE points

http://www.learngestalt.com

We help people live more authentically

Want more? See the Archives column here

Gestalt therapy demonstration sessions

Touching pain and anger: https://youtu.be/3r-lsBhfzqY (40m)

Permission to feel: https://youtu.be/2rSNpLBAqj0 (54m)

Marriage after 50: https://youtu.be/JRb1mhmtIVQ (1h 17m)

Serafina - Angel wings: https://youtu.be/iY_FeviFRGQ (45m)

Barb Wire Tattoo: https://youtu.be/WlA9Xfgv6NM (37m)

A natural empath; vibrating with joy: https://youtu.be/tZCHRUrjJ7Y (39m)

Dealing with a metal spider: https://youtu.be/3Z9905IhYBA (51m)

Interactive group: https://youtu.be/G0DVb81X2tY (1h 57m)