lifeworksgestaltl1

Monday, October 14, 2013

Case #30 - A good reason not to feel sexual

 
Bridgit reported having a ‘frozen’ feeling in her lower back and genital area. She was divorced 5 years and had not been able to find another relationship.

She said that she had been hurt by her husband. She had never been very responsive to him sexually, even though he tried hard in many ways, and the relationship had many good aspects.

I asked her how specificaly he had hurt her, but she found it hard to pinpoint this. She said she had felt closed to him, so that was where she experienced the hurt.

But it seemed that he had not particularly done anything harmful. So the arrows pointed elsewhere.

She then reported that she didnt really have that much feeling in her body full stop. 

I brought myself in, and told her my own experience of dissociation, and of finding it hard to be fully in my body.

She said she suspected that for her it stemmed from witnessing her brother being badly beat up by her parents from the ages of 8-16. After that he was stolen by people smugglers, and it was 5 years before he was able to write a letter, and get rescused from there. However, after that, he wandered the streets with other beggars, stole, was in jail several times and even stole from her when she tried to help him. 

15 years ago her their father died, and she reported that ever since then her brother has been fine, happy, and is leading a good life.

Nevertheless, she still feels much pain and guilt at not being able to do anything about the beatings.

I pointed out that she never had any support at all during that time - no one to talk to, no one to comfort her.

I suggested that, given the pain was still very present for her, I sit next to her, and put my arm around her, so she could feel the support she never had. To get the feeling, as if I was there, at the time with her.

As I did this, she started sobbing with extremely profound pain, gasping for air. I held her, and breathed, staying very present, listening to the terrible pain in her cries.

After quite some time her crying subsided, and she became still and quiet. I spoke acknowledging words.

Then, she sat up and looked at me. She said ‘now I want to give you something’. I could feel the shift in her, and my energy. I said, I can feel that, I feel warmed. She reported feeling warmer herself, throughout her body. 

I asked her what she wanted to give me, but she struggled for some time for words.

Then she said ‘I would like to kiss your eyes with my eyes’. I could feel her openess and the flow of energy between us. I said, now you are in your body, and ready for a relationship. She nodded.

I did not pick up on the first figure she raised (frozen feelings), nor the second (lack of feelings generally in the body). I responded dialogically and waited until something else emerged, which was her unfinished business from the family field.

Witnessing such trauma left a deep mark on her, and despite her brother having finally recovered his life, she was still holding onto the pain and guilt. She could not move on herself until she was really seen in her place of pain, and supported fully there.

Providing that experience triggered a profoundly healing experience, allowing her to spontaneously let go of the pain and guilt, come into her body, and be available for her sexual feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Lifeworks 2012

Contact: admin@learngestalt.com

Who is this blog for?

These case examples are for therapists, students and those working in the helping professions. The purpose is to show how the Gestalt approach works in practice, linking theory with clinical challenges.

Because this is aimed at a professional audience, the blog is available by subscription. Please enter your email address to receive free blog updates every time a new entry is added.

Gestalt therapy sessions

For personal therapy with me: www.qualityonlinetherapy.com

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

© Lifeworks 2012

Contact: admin@learngestalt.com

Languages:

HOME

Informed Consent & Rates

PROFESSIONAL TRAINING

Gestalt Therapy Defined

PROFESSIONAL SERVICES

PAYMENTS

OTHER STUFF

Links

Book:Advice for Men about Women

BLOGS

• English

Bahasa

Čeština

Deutsch

Español

Français

Greek ελληνικά

Hindi हिंदी

Magyar

Melayu

Italiano

Korean한국의

Polski

Português

Română

Russian Русский

Serbian српски

Chinese 中文

Japanese 日本語

Arabic العربية

English Bahasa České Deutsch Español Filipino Français ελληνικά हिंदी Magyar Melayu Italiano 한국의 Polski Português Română Русский српски 中文 日本語 العربية

If you are interested in following my travels/adventures in the course of my teaching work around the world, feel free to follow my Facebook Page!

vinaysmile

This Gestalt therapy blog is translated into multiple languages. You are welcome to subscribe

logosm1

Interested in Gestalt Therapy training?

Contact Us

Links

Career Decision Coaching

Here

and here

Lifeworks

Gestalt training and much more

http://www.depth.net.au

For Men

Here is a dedicated site for my book Understanding the Woman in Your Life

http://www.manlovesawoman.com

The Unvirtues

A site dedicated to this novel approach to the dynamics of self interest in relationship

http://www.unvirtues.com

Learn Gestalt

A site with Gestalt training professional development videos, available for CE points

http://www.learngestalt.com

We help people live more authentically

Want more? See the Archives column here

Gestalt therapy demonstration sessions

Touching pain and anger: https://youtu.be/3r-lsBhfzqY (40m)

Permission to feel: https://youtu.be/2rSNpLBAqj0 (54m)

Marriage after 50: https://youtu.be/JRb1mhmtIVQ (1h 17m)

Serafina - Angel wings: https://youtu.be/iY_FeviFRGQ (45m)

Barb Wire Tattoo: https://youtu.be/WlA9Xfgv6NM (37m)

A natural empath; vibrating with joy: https://youtu.be/tZCHRUrjJ7Y (39m)

Dealing with a metal spider: https://youtu.be/3Z9905IhYBA (51m)

Interactive group: https://youtu.be/G0DVb81X2tY (1h 57m)