lifeworksgestaltl1

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Case #41 - The disturbing client

Francis was coughing, in a way which really grated on me. She came up to work, and I brought it up - I said, ‘well, you certainly got my attention with that cough’. She said ‘yes, she tended to disturb people’. I replied ‘well you disturbed me with the cough’.

So we explored ‘disturbing’. I explained that there are also positive ways to disturb people - for instance comedians do that. And revolutionaries. And people who disturb the status quo in a group - they are also needed. I wanted to frame ‘disturbing’ in other ways, to widen her sense of choices available to her.

I invited her to ‘disturb’ a few people in the group. She playfully pinched one person’s cheeks, and then she lay across someone else’s feet.

These were light and fun actions she spontaneously performed, and immediately gave her a sense of being ‘disturbing’ in a different type of way.

I asked about her context - who was disturbing in her family. She said she had just found out that her mother was currently having an affair. As I learned more, it appeared that her father had been having affairs for years. 

This was obviously unsettling to her, but I didn't want to get too much into the business of what her parents were doing. She said she felt guilty...as if somehow her mothers affair was her fault, because she had moved out of home.  I said, ‘well, its not up to you to be carrying responsibility for your mother’s actions’.

I wanted to bring the focus back to her. So I said, ‘you are looking at me with a lot of intense focus - you have my attention right now’. She said that was something missing when she was growing up - her parents were so busy with their problems and conflicts that she didn't get much attention. When she did, it was often reactive. She talked about wanting loving attention, not critical attention. I pointed out that for children, negative attention is better than no attention…by doing this I was acknowledging the choicefulness somewhere of being ‘disturbing’ in her adult life to get attention, even if the kind of attention she then got wasn't so nice. 

I asked her to notice in the present what it was like to have my attention, and the attention of the group. She noted small changes in the attention of the group - a few people were distracted. I could see how attuned she was to the dynamics of where attention was directed in the group.

So I said, ‘ok, I want you to really be present with the attention I am giving you right now’. We sat there for a while. I noticed that I felt very flat...normally things occur to me, creative experiments, insights, awarenesses. I just felt completely flat with her, like an empty landscape.
So I reported that, and she said yes, she got that feedback from her husband and others...and that she also felt flat.

So I acknowledged this shared space, in an I-thou moment. Often such moments of intimacy and connection are understood as being full of deep feelings. But the sharedness here was of a kind of bareness. I said, ‘its hard for me, like I have lost all my creativity, I am not used to that’. She sparked up - liking the word creativity. 

She said, ‘I want to do something disturbing and daring to you’. I invited her to go ahead. She kissed me on the cheek. ‘Ah’ I said, ‘a splash of colour against the landscape!’

It was a moment of bright contact, in the context of a deep moment of sharing. As a result there was  profound shift in her, something had become freed up.

This was the outcome of a non-linear process of following the flow of awareness as it emerged between us - the theme of attention and disturbance. In Gestalt we do not so much work in a linear/goal focused manner, more like the flow of a river, moving with the current, immersing ourselves in the phenomenology of the client, and noticing our own responses. The end result is integration, or what could be called embodied insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Lifeworks 2012

Contact: admin@learngestalt.com

Who is this blog for?

These case examples are for therapists, students and those working in the helping professions. The purpose is to show how the Gestalt approach works in practice, linking theory with clinical challenges.

Because this is aimed at a professional audience, the blog is available by subscription. Please enter your email address to receive free blog updates every time a new entry is added.

Gestalt therapy sessions

For personal therapy with me: www.qualityonlinetherapy.com

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

© Lifeworks 2012

Contact: admin@learngestalt.com

Languages:

HOME

Informed Consent & Rates

PROFESSIONAL TRAINING

Gestalt Therapy Defined

PROFESSIONAL SERVICES

PAYMENTS

OTHER STUFF

Links

Book:Advice for Men about Women

BLOGS

• English

Bahasa

Čeština

Deutsch

Español

Français

Greek ελληνικά

Hindi हिंदी

Magyar

Melayu

Italiano

Korean한국의

Polski

Português

Română

Russian Русский

Serbian српски

Chinese 中文

Japanese 日本語

Arabic العربية

English Bahasa České Deutsch Español Filipino Français ελληνικά हिंदी Magyar Melayu Italiano 한국의 Polski Português Română Русский српски 中文 日本語 العربية

If you are interested in following my travels/adventures in the course of my teaching work around the world, feel free to follow my Facebook Page!

vinaysmile

This Gestalt therapy blog is translated into multiple languages. You are welcome to subscribe

logosm1

Interested in Gestalt Therapy training?

Contact Us

Links

Career Decision Coaching

Here

and here

Lifeworks

Gestalt training and much more

http://www.depth.net.au

For Men

Here is a dedicated site for my book Understanding the Woman in Your Life

http://www.manlovesawoman.com

The Unvirtues

A site dedicated to this novel approach to the dynamics of self interest in relationship

http://www.unvirtues.com

Learn Gestalt

A site with Gestalt training professional development videos, available for CE points

http://www.learngestalt.com

We help people live more authentically

Want more? See the Archives column here

Gestalt therapy demonstration sessions

Touching pain and anger: https://youtu.be/3r-lsBhfzqY (40m)

Permission to feel: https://youtu.be/2rSNpLBAqj0 (54m)

Marriage after 50: https://youtu.be/JRb1mhmtIVQ (1h 17m)

Serafina - Angel wings: https://youtu.be/iY_FeviFRGQ (45m)

Barb Wire Tattoo: https://youtu.be/WlA9Xfgv6NM (37m)

A natural empath; vibrating with joy: https://youtu.be/tZCHRUrjJ7Y (39m)

Dealing with a metal spider: https://youtu.be/3Z9905IhYBA (51m)

Interactive group: https://youtu.be/G0DVb81X2tY (1h 57m)